A few days ago I was working at my computer at home when it suddenly with a strange sound died. Restarting didn’t help as it got stuck somewhere in the booting process. At that time, it was late in the evening, I couldn’t not find out quickly what was wrong.
The next day I discovered that it was the graphic card that was causing the problem. Somebody was so kind to borrow me another graphic card. After installing that card the system did load, but it was clear that other things were not functioning as they should. At first I suspected that the Windows installation was corrupt, but more and more it became clear there were more hardware problems. I think what happened was that on the moment the graphic card fried, it also damaged the mother board.
I considered repairs for a moment… But the graphic card, the mother board and most likely the memory? We are talking about the more expensive components of a computer. So replacing the complete computer was an option that came already quickly to mind.
After talking it over with Marion, I ordered this morning an complete new set. And a nice set it is :-).
Let me give you the details…
- 8th generation Intel® i7-8700 6-Core processor (12 MB cache, tot 4,6 GHz)
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French,German, Italian.
- 16 GB memory, DDR4, 2.666 MHz (max 64 GB)
- 256 GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 4 TB hard disk (7.200 rpm)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 memory)
- Killer 1535 802.11ac 2×2 WIFI and Bluetooth 4.1
- SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
- … and the standard stuff as Gigabit Ethernet, Audio ports etc. etx
- 27 Inch Monitor – SE2717H Black (Max 1920 x 1080)
Yes, I am also replacing my monitor. My Philips 24 Inch monitor was a good choice, but now it is kinda outdated.
And there was here a request from Marion. Often when I am already out of bed (or not yet in bed :P), Marion likes to watch some TV. The Philips monitor can be play HD content, but not very good. The new monitor will be much better at this.
The Phillips monitor will be used as second monitor (which means that the old 17 Inch will be removed).
This also gives me the opportunity to clean up the mess of cables and wires behind my desk. I am pretty sure that there are cables that are not used anymore!
Oh, fun fact: Marissa is following me up and just ordered the same set :-)
I cannot wait until the new computer arrives.
Source picture: Dell